The Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance (LBCA) is thrilled that more and more volunteers have been joining in to help raise awareness about invasive lobular carcinoma (ILC), increase collaboration among ILC researchers and patient advocates, and promote more ILC research.
LBCA was founded by volunteers for this purpose, and as our volunteer numbers continue to grow, we are able to make an even greater impact. From our scientists and clinicians who volunteer their time and expertise, to our patient and family member volunteers who serve on our Patient Advocate Advisory Board (PAAB) and committees, to our Board of Directors, and individuals who take the time to share their stories, perspectives, and experiences in writing or by answering surveys, every single person makes a difference.
This year, LBCA is kicking off a new feature in our monthly newsletter, highlighting the incredible contributions of our volunteers. This will be called “Volunteer In Focus” and will officially begin in our May newsletter. During National Volunteer Week, we want to express our gratitude for all volunteers who have made LBCA what it is today. Looking back over the past year, our volunteers have done amazing things. They have:
- Written and contributed to articles regarding key aspects of ILC and ILC research;
- Made videos, written personal stories, and participated in webinars to share the patient ILC experience and provide important information about ILC research and treatments;
- Collaborated across continents with partners to convey highlights of the ILC research presented at the first virtual ILC Symposium in lay terms;
- Participated as grant reviewers for ILC specific grants;
- Helped keep information about ILC research on the LBCA website up to date;
- Strengthened the resources available on metastatic ILC;
- Created and conducted a survey on the challenges of ILC and imaging, and an abstract and poster with the results for the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium 2021;
- Fundraised to support more ILC awareness raising and research; and
- So much more!
Thank you for sharing your time, your efforts, and yourselves with us. We look forward to continuing the journey with you, advocating for a world in which lobular breast cancer is found early, treated effectively, and eradicated permanently.
Happy National Volunteer Week 2022!
COO & Volunteer Coordinator