LBCA has made significant progress related to our 5 strategic goals this first half of FY24. The following is a review of some of our key accomplishments by each goal area.
1. Raise awareness and educate about ILC
- Free live streamed webinar with Dr. Rinath Jeselsohn, Dr. Tali Amir and Dr. Anita Mamtani. The presentation included information on the unique characteristics of ILC, the challenges they pose for screening and treatment, and what is on the horizon for better detection and treatment of ILC.
- Interview with Dr. Matt Covington about new imaging modalities and the new additions to the National Comprehensive Cancer Network® (NCCN®) Clinical Guidelines for Breast Cancer Screening and Diagnosis Guidelines, and Patient Guidelines on Invasive Breast Cancer.
- Shared updated the demographic statistics of ILC.
- Published Questions for My Doctor in 16 Languages in addition to English.
- Prominence at SABCS
- Presented abstract and poster about patients’ experiences with ILC and surgical decision making.
- Had an ILC/LBCA information booth at SABCS.
- Sponsored the ILC education session.
2. Be the go-to source for ILC research/clinical trials and ILC information
- Added two Scientific Advisory Board members: George Sflomos, PhD and Fresia Pareja, MD, PhD. Dr. Sflomos is a cancer research senior scientist at the School of Life Sciences, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland and Dr. Pareja currently works as a practicing breast pathologist and physician-scientist at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
- Got President’s national cancer panel recognition for commitment to raising awareness, promoting patient advocacy and supporting lobular breast cancer research and linked to our website.
3. Cultivate alliances among US and international breast cancer organizations
- Was a sponsor of the International ILC Symposium in Pittsburgh.
- LBCA joined the ACS national Breast Cancer Roundtable.
4. Support ILC Patient Advocacy
- Provided travel scholarships to ILC Symposium and San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium.
- Funded three patient advocates to attend NBCC breast cancer science and advocacy training program Project Lead.
- Launched Local Advocacy Teams (LATs).
5. Promote and Fund ILC Research
- Awarded Capucine Héraud, PhD, the 2023 AACR-LBCA Invasive Lobular Carcinoma (ILC) Research Fellowship. The two-year grant, totaling $120,000, will support Dr. Héraud’s project titled Elucidating the Unique Biology of ILC and Response to Endocrine Treatments.