The International Invasive Lobular Breast Cancer (ILC) Virtual Symposium will take place on June 24-25, 2021, with special patient advocate focused sessions June 23 and June 30.
Registration is free and open to physicians, researchers, patient advocates and organizations interested in learning about ILC and the most current research to better understand this disease. This virtual symposium replaces the 2020 symposium, canceled due to the pandemic.
The symposium will be an opportunity to share current research in ILC and continue to build a vibrant, collaborative community of physicians, researchers, and advocates, ultimately impacting outcomes for patients with ILC. Participation is highly encouraged in these discussions.
Co-chairs for the event are Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) Past Chair Dr. Steffi Oesterreich, SAB Chair Dr. Otto Metzger, SAB member Dr. Patrick W.B. Derksen, and Dr. Christine Desmedt.
Topics will include challenges in ILC pathology, diagnosis and imaging, early-stage ILC treatments, individualizing ILC therapy, differences between lobular and ductal cancer, and a discussion with breast cancer advocates on current and future aspects of ILC-tailored therapies. There will also be a panel discussion with Dr. Oesterreich and LBCA Founder Leigh Pate on how researchers, clinicians, and patient advocates can accelerate lobular breast cancer research.
On June 23, 12-1:30 EST a Patient Advocate Orientation will take place sharing basic tools and information for advocates to make the most of the Symposium’s scientific sessions. Everyone is welcome to attend.
The event will be moderated by Siobhán Freeney, founding member of Lobular Ireland and patient advocate for European Lobular Breast Cancer Consortium (ELBCC).
Presenters and topics for the June 23 session include:
- Karen Van Baelen, MD, KU Leuven, UZ Leuven, Leuven, Belgium: “Lobular Breast Cancer: from diagnosis to treatment”
- Christine Desmedt, PhD, KU Leuven, Leuven, Belgium : “The ABCs of Cancer Biology”
- Steffi Oesterreich, PhD, UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, Magee Womens Research Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA: “Peculiarities of Lobular Breast Cancer Biology”
A second patient advocate session will take place at from 12-1:30 EST on June 30 discussing the highlights of the Symposium with leading lobular breast cancer researchers. This session is open to everyone but tailored for patients and patient advocates.
Moderator and chair of the June 30 event is LBCA Executive Director Laurie Hutcheson, MS. Discussants are:
- Rachel C. Jankowitz, MD, Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine in the Division of Hematology/Oncology at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, and Director of the Rena Rowan Breast Center at the Penn Abramson Cancer Center
- Matthew J. Sikora, PhD, Assistant Professor of Pathology at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
- Gary A. Ulaner, MD, PhD, Chair of Molecular Imaging and Therapy at Hoag Family Cancer Institute
For more information on the event and to register for all sessions visit ilcsymposium.com.