This is a remote position, 10-20 hours/week, minimum commitment of 9-10 months.
The Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance (LBCA) engages patients, clinicians, and researchers to increase knowledge of lobular breast disease and promote lobular breast cancer research. Working with the guidance of an international, expert scientific advisory board of breast cancer researchers and clinicians, and through growing collaborations with other breast cancer advocacy organizations in the US and internationally, LBCA provides a platform for ILC research, maintains a library of current lobular breast cancer studies, and identifies clinical trials and research advocacy opportunities with a focus on lobular breast disease.
LBCA is seeking a volunteer/intern Research and Advocacy Program Manager to take a leadership role in helping LBCA achieve its vision and mission. The Research and Advocacy Program Manager will be responsible for overseeing and providing strategic guidance on research, educational, and advocacy related activities. This includes helping LBCA identify and form relationships with major cancer centers and breast cancer research advocacy groups around the country and globally. The Research and Advocacy Program Manager will work directly with the LBCA’s talented and diverse group of volunteers who sign-up to complete specific research tasks directly tied to the organizations mission. The Program Manager will also have an opportunity to interface and may take the lead in consulting with various LBCA’s scientific advisory board members from time to time when they are also engaged in certain of LBCA’s specific research committee activities.
This position is ongoing or available as possible 9-10 month-long internship with expected time commitment is 10-20 hours/week. This is a unique opportunity to join a small start-up nonprofit organization, provide project management support, direct project guidance, manage timelines, and ensure projects are staffed with appropriate volunteer resources to be successful. The Program Manager will work side-by-side with the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer (COO)/Volunteer Coordinator and will report directly to the COO. This is an unpaid, remote position.
Program Manager responsibilities will include:
• Project management, supervision, and guidance for all research-related volunteer projects
• Support meeting facilitation for research and advocacy committee and small group work
• Manage the research and advocacy committee workplan and timelines
• Provide project planning support, meeting notes, content development guided by committee input, as needed, depending on volunteer level of involvement
• Collaborate with various of LBCA’s SAB members around research and advocacy committee activities, as needed
• With the ED, Communications Director, COO and research and advocacy committee members plan for participation in annual breast cancer conferences including developing posters for submission and collaborating with organizations such as GRASP and ALAMO BC Foundation to provide programming and collaborate on poster review, etc. for interested patient advocates
• With Communications Director, COO, and ED as necessary, identify and conduct outreach to other organizations including BC advocate groups to have ILC included in communications/ webinars, etc.
• Other tasks as assigned
Ideal candidates will have the following skills and interests
• Excellent project management skills
• Must enjoy working with volunteer workforce and be willing to provide motivational support
• Experience managing committees and/or stakeholder groups
• Ability to synthesize multiple viewpoints and identify appropriate next steps towards project completion
• Strong research, analytic, problem solving, writing, and editing experience and skills
• Ability to work virtually and independently and meet deadlines
• Detail oriented and organized
• Knowledge of MS Office Suite and Google Workspace
• An understanding of and knowledge of the science of breast cancer and patient research advocacy, is ideal
• An appreciation for the mission of the Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance, is a plus
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by June 15, 2021.