The Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance (LBCA) engages patients, clinicians, and researchers to increase knowledge of lobular breast disease and promote lobular breast cancer research. Working with the guidance of an international, expert scientific advisory board of breast cancer researchers and clinicians, and through growing collaborations with other breast cancer advocacy organizations in the US and internationally, LBCA provides a platform for ILC research, maintains a library of current lobular breast cancer studies, and identifies clinical trials and research advocacy opportunities with a focus on lobular breast disease.
LBCA is seeking a research and/or management intern for the Spring/Summer 2021 for 10-20 hours/week. This is a unique opportunity to join a small start-up nonprofit organization and assist in research tasks, draft organizational policies and procedures, and build organizational capacity. The intern will work side-by-side with the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer (COO)/Volunteer Coordinator on assigned tasks and will report directly to the COO. This is an unpaid, remote position.
Intern responsibilities may include:
• Supporting the development of a policy and procedures manual for professional and volunteer activities
• Assisting in the planning and implementation of virtual training events and conferences
• Supporting the Executive Director and the Chief Operating Officer / Volunteer Coordinator on business related and volunteer management related projects
• Conducting research on potential partnership organizations, research institutions, medical centers, and clinician training programs for future information dissemination
• Researching and making recommendations on effective software systems to promote efficiency and efficacy for small business management
• Other tasks as assigned
• Completion of initial graduate coursework in the fields of public health, social work, public policy, and nonprofit business administration (Undergraduates with a focus on nonprofit management, social work, or those interested in medicine and/or scientific research are also encouraged to apply)
• Strong research, writing, and editing skills
• Ability to work virtually and independently
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Detail oriented and organized
• Knowledge of MS Office Suite and Google Workspace
• Understanding of and appreciation for the mission of the Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance, and cancer in general, is a plus
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and one writing sample to email@example.com by June 15, 2021.