Founded in 2017 by patients with invasive lobular carcinoma (ILC), the Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance (LBCA) strives to raise awareness about the troubling characteristics of this disease that represents 15% of all breast cancer diagnoses and the fact that much more research is needed to find better methods for detecting and treating this breast disease.
LBCA engages patients, clinicians, and researchers to increase knowledge of lobular breast disease and promote lobular breast cancer research. Working with the guidance of an international, expert scientific advisory board of breast cancer researchers and clinicians, and through growing collaborations with other breast cancer advocacy organizations in the US and internationally, LBCA is the only organization in the US dedicated to educating about the disease and promoting more ILC research.
LBCA provides a platform for ILC research, maintains a library of current lILC studies, and identifies clinical trials and research advocacy opportunities with a focus on lobular breast cancer. LBCA welcomes and has relied predominantly on individual gifts to support its mission.
LBCA recently launched as an independent public charity and in addition to the awareness raising and advocacy activities the organization conducts, it has been able to raise funds sufficient to start making small grants to support ILC research directly.
Development Intern Role
LBCA seeks an intern interested in joining a small start-up nonprofit organization focused on a niche disease and to assist in research-focused development tasks to help build organizational capacity. The intern will work side-by-side with the executive director and development director. This is an unpaid, remote position.
Examples of Project Specific Work Under the direct supervision of the development director:
- Support development arm of organization by learning how to prospect foundation/corporate grant funding using Foundations Directory Online, and develop a grants calendar
- Conduct research via the Internet to identify large corporations with charitable interest in or funds for supporting breast cancer advocacy and research and information about whom to contact to engage in a conversation about corporate sponsorships.
- Conduct research via the Internet to identify potential major donors.
- Assist the development director with the preparation of materials to make an ask of corporations and others identified as possible sponsors of LBCA.
LBCA Minimum Requirements for Development Intern:
- Strong research, writing, and editing skills
- Ability to work virtually and independently
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Detail oriented and organized
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite and Google Workspace
- Understanding of and appreciation for the mission of the LBCA and cancer in general
- Familiarity with searching foundation databases is a plus
How to apply:
Resume and references can be submitted to LBCA COO Mason Mitchell-Daniels at email@example.com