Who We Are:
The Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance Inc. (LBCA) was founded in 2017 by patients with invasive lobular carcinoma (ILC), or lobular breast cancer, who were desperate for more information, frustrated that their different cancer subtype was thought of and treated just like ductal breast cancer, and compelled to spread the word about ILC and advocate vigorously for more ILC research.
LBCA engages patients, clinicians, and researchers to increase knowledge of lobular breast disease and promote ILC research. Working with the guidance of an international, expert scientific advisory board of breast cancer researchers and clinicians, and through a patient advocate advisory board and growing collaborations with other breast cancer advocacy organizations in the US and internationally, LBCA is the only organization in the US dedicated to educating about the disease and promoting more ILC research.
We are grateful for the loyal support of LBCA Board Member Judy McDevitt and her husband Bob for making this internship possible.
Marketing and Communications Intern
The LBCA Bob & Judy McDevitt LBCA Marketing and Communications Internship Program provides college students and/or recent grads with valuable hands-on experience in the area of marketing and communications including public relations. The intern will work on a variety of projects over the course of the semester. This internship is a paid ($18 per hour), part-time (up to 15 hours a week for 16 weeks), and remote position. The internship is available in fall and spring semesters. We are flexible to work with interns on schedules around academic priorities.
In this role, the intern will work closely with the communications director as well as leadership staff assisting in all aspects of the organization’s marketing and communications efforts. Every day is different for our interns. This role is about responding to the changing needs of the organization in the area of communications and allowing the intern to build breadth and depth of experience.
The intern may be assisting the communications director or other staff with any of the following:
- Creation of social media posts/graphics for use across all LBCA platforms
- Drafting and editing of LBCA monthly newsletter content
- Assisting with videos including drafting questions, scripts, and editing interviews
- Proofing LBCA website posts and finding appropriate graphics for use on website
- Aiding LBCA as needed in the development of communication and marketing tools for webinars and conferences and in the development of new outreach ideas and designs
- Drafting key media materials (press releases, media advisories, fact sheets, etc.) and pitching the media
- Monitoring social media for mentions of ILC and LBCA
- Development of content and layout for a brochure about ILC and LBCA to be disseminated to and at major cancer centers
- Tracking content performance using data analytics to see how well LBCA website, social media, and newsletter content is performing
- Participating in weekly staff meetings
- Performing administrative duties
- Assisting with various cross-functional marketing projects as necessary
- Interest in Marketing and Communications including public relations
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Experience in working successfully virtually and independently
- The ability to prioritize your workload and keep to strict content deadlines
- Ability to handle information in a confidential, objective and professional manner
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite. Some experience with digital media tools such as Adobe, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Canva, Google Analytics, and Word Press.
- An understanding of various social media platforms including LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram
- An understanding of, appreciation for, and interest in supporting the mission of non-profit/advocacy organizations like the Lobular Breast Cancer Alliance
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and one writing sample to email@example.com.